Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.


Monday, December 6, 2010

Ten Black Dots, Kindergarten

What can you turn a black dot into? That was the idea behind this lesson. Ten Black Dots is written by Donald Crews, and is a wonderfully creative book.

This book is part of the kindergarten curriculum in my district, so I thought I would turn it into an art project. Basically this is a counting book. The book takes black dots and turns them into things. One black dot is turned into a moon; Two black dots are turned into eyes, and so on... For this project, I cut out lots of black dots. Students then chose a few black dots and glued it to their papers. Then, students turn the black dots into things. Students drew in pencil first, and then outlined everything in black. Lastly, students used crayons and colored their drawings. This was a super simple lesson, and the results were just so cool.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this idea! Thank you! We have been working on the number 10 and the ways to make 10. Looks like this will be a great end of the unit activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this great idea!

    ReplyDelete