Welcome to Lines, Dots, and Doodles. This is the place for students, parents, and teachers to find out what has been going on in my art class. I have included pictures of my student's artwork and basic explanations of the projects. I hope when you leave this blog, you feel inspired to create. Feel free to browse this blog and borrow any of my art lessons.


Friday, October 15, 2010

Fall Still Life, 2nd Grade

This was a really fun lesson, and my students LOVED it. As many of you know, most of my art lessons have to be completed from start to finish in one, one hour class. (This has to do with the way my job is set up.) However, I was very convincing, and talked my way into having two classes for this project. Even with two classes, I really had to keep the kids moving quickly in order to finish in time.First Day: To start this lesson I brought in a few pumpkins, and showed them how pumpkins can be multiple colors and have lots of texture. Then, we painted three pieces of paper. One for the apples, and the other two for the pumpkins. The paper was first painted one solid color, and then added textures after. The textures can be done by splattering, using combs, or simply brushing on paints. This was all we had time for on the first day. The idea for this part of the lesson was found on Deep Space Sparkle.

Second Day: The second day was extremely busy. To begin, we started with weaving the basket. It took about 20 minutes to weave the baskets. (By the way, some students found weaving extremely difficult. I had to spend a lot of time helping certain students). After the basket was weaved, I gave the students a half sheet of construction paper to use as the table cloth. I gave students about 5 minutes to decorate the table cloth with oil pastels. After this, we finally got to cut out our apples and pumpkins. Basically, we just turned our painted paper over and drew circles on the back. Pumpkins were big circles and apples were smaller ones. During the last three minutes of class, I had the students use paint to add stems, vines, and lines onto their pumpkins. It is important not to give students too much time with the paint or they will over do it.
These turned out absolutely AWESOME!!! Some of my students have claimed that this was their favorite art lesson ever!

5 comments:

  1. Holly, these are lovely, but honestly, I don't know how you do it! Everything always takes longer than I plan, and I know I couldn't finish these as quickly as you did. I'm guessing that you have to do a lot of the cleanup yourself in order to get so much done in one or two art classes? Also, I assume you can't take much time for motivation (reading a book, learning about an artist, discussing art elements used, etc)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really hard to get things done in time. The kids know that when I come in for art, they will have to work really hard. For this project, I had to really keep my eye on the clock. The kids know that if I tell them that they have 5 minutes to do something, that is really all they have. Yes, for hard projects like this, I end up doing a lot of the cleanup. However, sometimes if I have a few children who finish early, I have those children help me clean up. As far as motivation stuff, I really do have very little time. For this project, hardly any. Usually I keep my motivational stuff no longer than 5 minutes. So, I rarely read a book to them, except sometimes for kindergarten. I do talk about art elements frequently though. Usually, I make that fit in somewhere, even if I tell them while they are working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it and might steal it and break it into two lessons, a basket with apples and the pumpkins at separate art (crazy time limits just like you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you do all your lessons in one 60 minute period? Holy cow! You are an art teacher super hero! So seriously, why do you only get one 60 min period per lesson?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your still life assignment. I used to have and hour for art, but it was long ago and then they only came once a week.

    ReplyDelete